More random thoughts

I miss writing.

To say this is particularly weird because when you have a passion in something, you tend to steal some time to be able to commit on doing what you love; something that I haven't been doing recently. Throughout the semester my mind was pretty much occupied by various things; balancing my academic and social life, figuring out how to be more responsible in Japanese society, struggling to maintain contact with friends and families back home. Oh, and not to mention budgeting problems; things that have been happening in the world lately really affected the way I use my money. (I'm looking at you, Brexit.)

With all these things I have in mind, the idea of writing immediately got shoved into the back of my head without me noticing, and all of a sudden I realized that I haven't written in ages. Sometimes I write in my diary to sharpen up my writing skills, but even that gets forgotten eventually. Towards the end of last semester I was really busy for my moving out preparation, and life got a little bit tougher after moving out, having to cope with barely no furniture in the apartment, and the absence of wifi with exams coming up and so many reports to finish. My sharemate, Dinda, and I had to buy a bento every single time we ate at the apartment because we didn't have a fridge yet. I also fell sick during final exams which made me feel a bit stressful back then, but eventually I did my exams well enough and I was able to finish my reports on time.

Looking back, I feel like I've been more active last semester, since I was really busy on being involved with many things outside the classroom. During the first semester I was still in the process of adapting into society, so I didn't get involved in any activities outside class. I felt a bit overwhelmed last semester, especially during Ramadan, but I feel grateful, for it has brought me to a whole lot of new eye-opening experiences and I was able to meet and get to know more amazing people.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about home, and what it actually is. I used to think that home was my home in Depok, Indonesia and not more than that. Since 2 months ago I couldn't wait to come home real soon, and now here I am, typing this in the comfort of my living room couch. But when a friend referred to my apartment in Beppu as home, I was a bit shocked and puzzled to hear that. For almost a year I have found comfort in the quiet, small town of Beppu, yet it never occurred to me to refer to it as home; my second home, to be exact. But on the other side, I do realize that currently I live my daily life in Beppu instead of Depok. Slowly but surely, my Indonesian home has become nothing more than a place to stay during the holidays before going back to Beppu. But of course, that does not make it less comfortable or less homey, does it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little reflection

On love; I guess

Salah